30 de abril
Smartphone ownership within the United Stated has increased as time passes 1 including among gay, bisexual, as well as other males that have sex with guys (MSM)2. Smartphone geosocial-networking applications (“apps”) can be utilized among MSM to fulfill partners that are sexual. Increased use of smart phones combined with the typical usage of apps to locate intimate lovers led CDUHR investigator Dr. Dustin Duncan and their collaborators to analyze the relationships between app use and intimate wellness among MSM.
Characterizing App Utilize
Among an example of young MSM that are black in Gulfport, Mississippi; Jackson, Mississippi; and brand New Orleans, Louisiana, 76% utilized apps. People who used apps reported their most frequently utilized apps as Jack’d (69 mexican single women.8%) followed closely by Adam4Adam (41.5%) and Grindr (35.9%). Individuals used on average 8.2 various apps and invested on average 2.1 hours in the apps daily. The average number of “app-met partners” with whom they engaged in insertive intercourse was 1.19; almost one third of the encounters were condomless although a minority (17%) used apps to seek sexual partners. Additionally, over 25 % of participants were unaware of the HIV status of these partners that are app-met. High amounts of condomless intercourse and absence of understanding of partners’ HIV status warrant research of intimate risk using among app-using MSM 5.
Contextualizing App Utilize
Sexual risk among application making use of MSM ended up being examined making use of an example of 174 app-using MSM in new york. The analysis addressed 6 contextual facets linked to app usage and investigated the connection between these factors and condomless sex. A big part (63.2%) utilized apps when feeling sad, whenever making use of liquor (51.1%) so when making use of any medications (25.9%). Individuals had been prone to participate in both insertive and receptive sex that is condomless apps had been getting used when utilizing any medications or when working with apps for transactional sexual encounters 6.
Fighting HIV through App Utilize
Apps have indicated their prospective effectiveness among scientists and medical care providers trying to reduce steadily the threat of HIV among MSM. Among an example of 169 app-using MSM in London, 63.9% reported willingness to make use of apps for HIV avoidance, and specifically apps to serve as reminders for HIV evaluation. Willingness to make use of apps for HIV prevention had been greater the type of reporting present binge drinking and present club medication use 7.
Current geosocial-networking applications have now been utilized to supply HIV-related interventions 8 and also have the prospective to be utilized for other MSM health problems substance usage, intimate partner physical violence, and intimate danger using. App-based intimate wellness interventions focusing on MSM must certanly be developed, provided MSM’s willingness to make use of apps for HIV prevention.
- Pew Analysis Center. Social networking Use Will Continue To Boost in Developing Nations, but Plateaus Around Developed Ones. June 2018. http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/06/15135408/Pew-Research-Center_Global-Tech-Social-Media-Use_2018.06.19.pdf. Accessed 24 Sept 2018.
- Grov C, Ventuneac The, Rendina HJ, Jimenez RH, Parsons JT. Perceived need for five various health problems for homosexual and bisexual guys: Implications for brand new guidelines in wellness training and avoidance. United states Journal of Men’s Wellness. 2013;7(4):274-284.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Geosocial-networking app usage habits of homosexual, bisexual, as well as other males who've sex with males: Survey among users of grindr, a dating app that is mobile. JMIR Public Wellness andSurveillance. 2015; 1(1):e4.
- Queiroz, Artur Acelino Francisco Luz Nunes, de Sousa, Бlvaro Francisco Lopes, de Araъjo, Telma Maria Evangelista, de Oliveira, Francisco Braz Milanez, Moura MEB, Reis RK. Overview of risk behaviors for HIV disease by males that have intercourse with males through geosocial phone that is networking. Journal associated with Association of Nurses in AIDS Care.2017;28(5):807-818.
- Duncan DT, Park SH, Hambrick HR, et al. Characterizing geosocialnetworking software use among young black males that have intercourse with males: A multi-city cross-sectional study in the southern united states of america. JMIR mHealth and uHealth. 2018;6(6):e10316.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Contextual facets in geosocial-networking application that is smartphone and engagement in condomless rectal intercourse among homosexual, bisexual, as well as other males who possess intercourse with males whom utilize grindr. Intimate Wellness. 2016;13(6):549-554.
- Goedel WC, Mitchell JW, Krebs P, Duncan DT. Willingness to make use of cellular phone apps for HIV prevention among males that have sex with guys in London: Web-based study. JMIR mHealth and uHealth. 2017; 5(10):e15.
- Cao B, Gupta S, Wang J, Hightow-Weidman LB, Muessig KE, Tang W, Pan S, Pendse R, Tucker JD. social networking Interventions to advertise HIV Testing, Linkage, Adherence, and Retention: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Med Online Res. 2017;19(11):e394.
This work ended up being supported by NIDA (P30DA011041, PIs: Deren & Hagan); My Brother’s Keeper, Inc; Wilfred L and Ruth SF Peltz Research Scholarship, granted through the newest York University College of Arts and Science Dean’s Undergraduate Research Fund (PI: William C Goedel); and ny University School of Medicine Start-Up Research Fund.
The guts for Drug utilize and HIV analysis (CDUHR) is definitely an interdisciplinary research center that focuses on general public health problems pertaining to HIV, hepatitis C, and medication usage.
Center for Drug utilize and HIV analysis NYU university of Global Public wellness 665 Broadway, 11th Floor nyc , NY 10012